Common Household Items that Can Cause a Fire

You never want to smell smoke in your home and realize there’s a fire. That’s why it is important to be diligent about fire safety. Experts recommend that homeowners be especially careful with the following common household items:
 
• Portable heaters. Never leave one in a room unattended. Make sure paper and other combustible materials are well away from these units.
 
• Electronics chargers. We all want our computers, tablets, and smartphones to charge quickly. The price we pay for that convenience is chargers that pull in a lot of power, making them very hot. Keep them away from combustible
material, as well as other wiring.
 
• Smoking materials. Be careful with cigarettes, pipes, cigars and other such items. Bedding and upholstery, which burn slowly and dangerously, are the source of 75% of smoking-related fires.
 
• Candles. Never leave candles unattended for any reason. If you must leave the room, extinguish them.
 
• Flammable liquids. These can include paints, thinners and some brands of cleaning products. Read labels carefully and follow the safety instructions.
 
To paraphrase a famous expression: An ounce of prevention is worth not having to deal with a house fire.
 
*Morris Marketing*

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *